Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

No

Featured Slider Styles

Display Grid Slider

Grid Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

Display Instagram Footer

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a first grade teacher who has rediscovered a love for firsties this year. I have taught pre-k, kindergarten, first grade and even second over the past 16 years. I have been married for 17 years to my wonderful husband and have been blessed with 2 very active boys.

Pre-K Back to School

Pre-K Back to School
Pre-K Back to School

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy
Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy
Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Phonics Games

Phonics Games
Phonics Games
Image Map
   
Blog Design by:
.
Graphics by: MareeTrueLove.
Widget by:Gabby Barba

Calendar Math for Primary Grades

Calendar Math for Primary Grades
Primary Calendar for the Year

Center Game Storage and Organization


I just love a Bright Idea and who better to share and collaborate with than other teachers. I am so happy to be joining 150 other bloggers this month with an incredible collection of Bright Ideas!
 
 
I love creating new and engaging games and activities for my students.  There are so many resources out there that makes it possible to find almost any activity at a moment's notice.  I am so thankful for that. 

 
I set off to print, laminate, cut and organize activities. It is time consuming, but so worth it!  The students enjoy working cooperatively to practice skills introduced during lessons. 
 
 
So then HOW do I store the pieces?  I always print a cover for the activity and use a tape runner to adhere it to the front of a large manila envelope.  Then I laminate the envelope.  I run my scissors along the back to slice the laminating at the folder opening. All game pieces are placed in the envelope along with any recording sheets.  I print any recording sheets on cardstock so they don't get mixed up with the copies the students are using.
 

 
I introduce all games during small and whole group lessons before allowing the students to work cooperatively on them.  This helps reduce questions as we model rules and correct procedures for cooperative play.  The game stays out for the length of time needed to practice the skill.  The games also make come backs for review throughout the year!
 
Next up is WHERE I store the games when NOT in use... I organize and store games and activities by subject or skill, unless it is a seasonal activity.  Seasonal activities are stored by month.  All envelops are organized in magazine holders and labeled accordingly. 
 
 

This system of organization keeps my games ready and available at all times.  I am able to locate them with very little effort and it keeps them front and center in my mind and ready to pull during planning!  I hope this Bright Idea helps you get a handle on organizing all your center activities. 
 
If you enjoyed this bright idea, please consider following me on Facebook for updates and happenings!
 
For more bright ideas from over 100 bloggers, please browse through the link up below and choose a topic or grade level that interests you.  Thanks for visiting!! :)
 
 
post signature
QuickEdit
Mrs. Wathen
5 Comments
Share :

5 comments:

  1. Great idea Tammy! I usually put mine in a plastic Ziploc or a manila folder like this -but then it goes into my filing cabinet for games.. I love how you used the magazine holders instead and labeled them by month! Super idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many of those magazine holders.... this is the perfect way to use them! And my centers are already in the envelops! Great idea!

    Jennifer from Simply Kinder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your organizational tips! I love looking at other teachers' ways of organizing their centers.

    Kathy Griffin's Teaching Strategies

    ReplyDelete
  4. The large envelopes work so much better than using plastic baggies. I was just searching for the best way to store them and I think this is it. Thanks for the bright idea!

    Learning at the Teacher Table

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just been grappling with what to do about storing my center activities. I have them in labeled envelopes in a filing cabinet, but I love the idea of the monthly holders to store them. Thanks for sharing!

    Mona
    First Grade Schoolhouse

    ReplyDelete

Follow @georgialoustudios