Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

No

Featured Slider Styles

Display Grid Slider

Grid Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

Display Instagram Footer

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a first grade teacher who has rediscovered a love for firsties this year. I have taught pre-k, kindergarten, first grade and even second over the past 16 years. I have been married for 17 years to my wonderful husband and have been blessed with 2 very active boys.

Pre-K Back to School

Pre-K Back to School
Pre-K Back to School

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy
Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy
Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Phonics Games

Phonics Games
Phonics Games
Image Map
   
Blog Design by:
.
Graphics by: MareeTrueLove.
Widget by:Gabby Barba

Calendar Math for Primary Grades

Calendar Math for Primary Grades
Primary Calendar for the Year

Common Core Ramblings


Jumping into Common Core last year has made me think more about our standards and how to integrate them into our reading curriculum.  As with most Florida educators, a reading series has been adopted and we are expected to use it.

Last year was our final year before the adoption of a new series.  Teachers scrambled to integrate Common Core. Many teachers turned to TpT and other places to help fill the gap.  Then came out new series this year and many teachers believed (and maybe even prayed) that everything would be included.

As we progress through the year, we are finding that this isn't necessarily the case.  The publishers jumped into common core like the rest of us and did what they thought was right...or what "common core" wanted.

There have been hills and valleys along the way.  I believe our new series lacks in several areas.  Many are disheartened by this, but I am excited.  This is where the challenge comes in.  We, as teachers, have the responsibility to teach.  That does not come in a box or a series. I believe it is my job to find the best  possible way to teach the standards with the rigor that was intended.

Our reading series is just one tool in out teaching belt.  I believe there are many valuable components to it.  We also have additional tools that will work well to enhance learning.  Dig into your trade books, stop by your teammates rooms, follow bloggers on Facebook or Pinterest, but most importantly collaborate and share.

All of that takes time (which we are all short on) I do love when I can find something to make my life easier.  The Wonders Supplemental Units that I have been working on help me to prepare for the week. Each unit is prepped and ready to go. Wonders Supplemental Unit {Grade 1-Unit 5} is now available and on sale on TpT.


Do you have a reading series?  I would love to hear how it is working for you:)

QuickEdit
Mrs. Wathen
0 Comments
Share :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @georgialoustudios