Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

No

Featured Slider Styles

Display Grid Slider

Grid Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

Display Instagram Footer

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a first grade teacher who has rediscovered a love for firsties this year. I have taught pre-k, kindergarten, first grade and even second over the past 16 years. I have been married for 17 years to my wonderful husband and have been blessed with 2 very active boys.

Pre-K Back to School

Pre-K Back to School
Pre-K Back to School

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy
Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy
Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Phonics Games

Phonics Games
Phonics Games
Image Map
   
Blog Design by:
.
Graphics by: MareeTrueLove.
Widget by:Gabby Barba

Calendar Math for Primary Grades

Calendar Math for Primary Grades
Primary Calendar for the Year

For the Love of Reading


The "love of reading" is a concept,  hope, reality in my classroom this year. Now don't get me wrong, given the choice of recess or reading they would definitely choose recess... But when all is said and done, there has been a reading "buzz", if you will, in my room this year.

I want to shout it from the roof tops!  We all work really hard teaching reading, but I believe I have done 3 things differently this year that together have made a difference.

ONE

I have leveled my classroom library with AR levels.  I have pulled and sorted books with K-2 grade AR levels and put them in baskets on a separate book shelf.  I do use the Daily 5 framework and know that the "Sisters" discourage this, but I believe it has truly helped my kids this year.  In addition to the ease, they waste less time looking for a book on their reading level as they are grouped together.  (Note: This picture is from preplanning and all baskets weren't out and labeled...)


TWO
 
I have consistently been assigning fluency passages EVERY week.  I have used Jody Southard's Monthly Fluency Passages along with her Monthly Songs and Poems.  My kids take home the fluency passage and practice it for homework for 3 nights.  There is even a sign off on the bottom of the page for parents.  We work on the same poem in class and add it to our poetry notebooks.  The kids then practice their poems during the "Read to Partner" portion of Daily 5.  The units can be purchased monthly, seasonally or a Year of Fluency all at once!

 
Another new resource that is HOT of the presses is Tamara Russell's Differentiated Fluency for First Grade. It was 18th today in TpT's newsletter today from K-2 products! It is AMAZING!!  Each month includes differentiated passages that are LEVELED!  Did I mention that the AR level is even included?  This is the FIRST time I have seen a unit like this on Teacher's Pay Teacher's. 
 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Differentiated-Fluency-for-Firsties-December-March-1036359
 
THREE
 
I have focused on sight words this year in a BIG way.  I have used our reading curriculum's words (Wonders) and then introduced additional FRY Sight Words.  The key here is differentiation again.  Each child receives EXTRA words ON HIS/HER LEVEL to practice at home and during Daily 5.  I have made assessment sheets, themed flash cards and take home lists.  The first 1-500 FRY Words have been bundled into FRY WORD MEGA BUNDLE {Fry Words 1-500}. This is the perfect resource to remediate, teach  and challenge all students!  I will be working on Fry Words 501-1000 in the upcoming months! 
 
 
By leveling our classroom library, practicing fluency daily and differentiating our sight words, my class has become better readers.  When children are confident in their reading, they are more apt to enjoy reading.
 
QuickEdit
Mrs. Wathen
0 Comments
Share :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @georgialoustudios