Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

No

Featured Slider Styles

Display Grid Slider

Grid Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

Display Instagram Footer

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
I am a first grade teacher who has rediscovered a love for firsties this year. I have taught pre-k, kindergarten, first grade and even second over the past 16 years. I have been married for 17 years to my wonderful husband and have been blessed with 2 very active boys.

Pre-K Back to School

Pre-K Back to School
Pre-K Back to School

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy
Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy
Pre-K/Kindergarten Literacy

Phonics Games

Phonics Games
Phonics Games
Image Map
   
Blog Design by:
.
Graphics by: MareeTrueLove.
Widget by:Gabby Barba

Calendar Math for Primary Grades

Calendar Math for Primary Grades
Primary Calendar for the Year

Reading Buddies


Welcome to the Bright Ideas Blog Hop.  I love the simplicity of this hop as I can share a little and then  hop along to hear so many new strategies and ideas that are easy to implement. Collaboration among teachers is one of the reasons I started my blog.


Throughout my 17 years of teaching in the primary grades, I have paired up with a intermediate teacher and implemented Reading Buddies. This experience is a win-win for so many reasons. 

1.  My first graders are paired up with a stronger reader who is able to help them read and decode words with books on their level.  We meet once a week for 20 minutes.  This is such an amazing way to build fluency with my firsties!


2.  Our school uses the Accelerated Reader program where children are able to read leveled books and take comprehension tests on the computer.  We are able to utilize this program that much sooner because our reading buddies are able to show the first graders how to find the program on the computer, how to log in and then help with any unknown words.  The reading buddies ARE NOT allowed to help with the answers.



3. Our Reading Buddies take the FCAT, a standardized test here in Florida.  We are able to write notes of encouragement and send little snacks and pick me ups during their two weeks of testing.  All of our school is matched up with FCAT buddies, but I believe it means even more now as friendships have been made through the year and the kids have a connection to each other.  They know we are rooting for them!  We  are sending over a basket of apples on Monday with our notes of encouragement.



I would love to hear if YOU have reading buddies!  If you enjoyed this Bright Idea, please consider  following me on Facebook, Teachers Pay Teachers and Bloglovin.

For more bright ideas from 150 different bloggers, please browse through the link up below and choose a topic or grade level that interests you. Thanks for visiting!


 
QuickEdit
Mrs. Wathen
2 Comments
Share :

2 comments:

  1. I love that idea Tammy. My principal just informed me this last week that I will be moving to 4th grade next year. It is a little scary because I have not taught that grade before but I am a little excited too. I really would like to take this idea and use it next year with my students. Thanks for sharing.
    Tammy

    Mrs. Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Anymore tips on reading buddies would be great!!

    ReplyDelete

Follow @georgialoustudios